Friday, February 7, 2014

Toscana Kale Soup






There is always one thing I love about winter, being snowed in and staying home by a cozy fire and that thing is the unlimited opportunity to bake and cook all day. Once we were snowed in for 4 days and I made about everything in my home.  I loved it.  So now that we are finally having a chilly day after our many spring like days here in sunny California, I am finally really craving a nice healthy bowl of soup.  So here is my take on Winter, creamy, silky, hearty and delicious. 
Another thing I love about this soup is the simplicity to make it.  Yummy and simple...Perfection! 

 Toscana Kale Soup
5 cups vegetable broth
1 Tbs Better than Bouillon "no chicken base"
2 cups Almond milk
2 Bay leaves
2 russet potatoes, sliced
4 cups kale, chopped
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup TVP Crumbles (I've used Harmony Valley vegetarian [vegan] sausage mix [made as directed and portioned into small little chunks] and I've used Gardein Beefless Ground also.)
2 Tbs fennel seed
2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp pepper
salt to taste
Optional:
1/2 cup diced Carrots and Celery


Over high heat, cook vegetable broth and Better than Bouillon "no chicken" and cook until it starts to boil.


Add sliced potatoes, kale, onion, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. 


Cook on simmer for 30 minutes. Make Sausage, add fennel to it and portion it into small bites. Add to soup. Add the almond milk and cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment