Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Tomato Lime Bruschetta


I just returned from Croatia and Italy.  Wow, what an amazing trip I was able to take with my BFF.  She convinced me that if I bought my flight, she'd pay for hotels and we'd travel, experience the amazing foods and see some amazing historical sites.  I'm still in disbelief that I went and that it wasn't just a dream. 
While driving around Europe, we decided to head to Venezia (Venice, Italy) and see the sights.  Since I'm Italian, Italy was like a little kid finding her birth parent for the first time.  I was just speechless! The sights, the feeling, the aromas and the tastes!  One super spectacular but easy lunch we had was bruschetta.  It was nice, light and flavorful.  It had beautiful basil and fabulous olive oil. It was served on a simple piece of toast cut into triangles, nothing glamorous but yet so delightful. It was also served with a few carrot shavings for color. 
So then on my flight home from Europe, I had a pasta with marinara and lime.  I was intrigued.  I have never put lime in my marinara and wouldn't have dreamed of it.  Perhaps because this flight was a flight out of Germany, it's a common thing there but I really don't know.  But I tried it and really liked it. Then it came to me...
I decided to merge two of the meals I had in Germany and Italy and make a Tomato Lime Bruschetta.  And guess what?
It worked!

Tomato Lime Bruschetta
Plain toast or toasted french baguette slices
3 Roma tomatoes and a yellow tomato (or your favorite selection) diced small, draining as much of the seeds and liquid as possible.
2-3 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp zest of lime (chopped super fine)
Juice from half of a lime
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and put a generous amount on toast. Eat. Dream of Italy.  It's that easy.

 Bucket list~ Venice..I finally made it there.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment