Thursday, September 25, 2014

Garden Veggie Casserole

 
I have a garden.  Scratch that...my husband has a garden and he's quite proud of it.  Even though we only have a few veggies in it, he is always bringing his bounty in and leaving it on the counter for me. Today I woke up to a beautiful yellow squash and tomatoes.  As I pondered what I'd do with these delicacies, I felt the nice fall-like wind outside would require a casserole. I love fall and casseroles say "Fall" in love to me.  So I decided that a Garden Veggie Casserole would be in order since I had a zucchini from my friend Kelly's garden and a new batch of Italian bread crumbs that I had just made.  
I tell you what...I was in heaven.  I made a large quantity that would serve about 4-5 people however between my daughter Kailey and I, we devoured it. And I don't regret it one bit!  Make this...you'll love it.  And feel free to toss whatever veggies you have in the mix too.

 Garden Veggie Casserole
 
Garden Veggie Casserole Recipe
1 Tomato diced
1 lg yellow squash diced
1 Zucchini diced
1 Tbs onion powder
1 Tbs salt Seasoning
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp fresh garlic
5 Tbs Italian seasoned bread crumbs (2 Tbs for recipe and 3 Tbs for topping)
1 Tbs Milk, I used unsweetened coconut
1 Tbs Vegan butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On stove, boil yellow squash and zucchini until almost tender, about 8 minutes. Drain. With a masher or fork, mash mixture but leaving it slightly chunky. To hot mixture, add diced tomatoes, onion powder, salt, thyme, garlic, butter and 2 Tbs bread crumbs and mix until butter is melted. Add milk and stir.  Spray a small casserole dish with cooking spray and pour mixture in.  Sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs. Bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes then serve. Eat. Love. Nourish!

No comments:

Post a Comment