Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Spumoni Truffle Cake Balls




 It's that magical time of year when lights are shining, caroling is in full swing and the treats are plentiful...But...
I can honestly say that I haven't ever had a Spumoni treat quite like this!  
A few years ago, I was honored to win a National baking contest with the Duncan Hines Company. My inspiration for what I decided to make for that contest was created when I went to the ice cream section looking for goodies and the Spumoni Ice Cream, my childhood favorite, was blinking like a beacon, at least in my head it was. That was the moment I had decided to make a "Holy Spumoni Bundt Cake."  I took all the classic flavors of Pistachio, cherry, chocolate and almond and created something that would stay with me for life.  People in my neck of the woods would refer to me as the Spumoni or Duncan Hines girl.  I had been blessed to fly back to New Jersey twice to visit the Duncan Hines headquarter and be part of an incredible baking  journey. Once I returned home, with a little help from the newspaper in town, people started requesting the Spumoni cake and thus...my Spumoni cupcakes were created.  I've sold many, made many for showers, weddings and general consumption. I love the Spumoni cupcakes and always will. But my need to create something special challenged me and took off when I decided I must create another Spumoni love. And thus the Spumoni Truffle Cake Ball was born. I took all the same tastes and flavors and created a beautiful bon bon that was sure to please and be something new.  I really hope you enjoy the silky chocolate Spumoni truffle that "Enjoy Life Chocolate" was perfectly made for and that "Duncan Hines" cake mix and frosting made this handcrafted treat a whole lot faster to make. Even though these do take a little extra time to make, they are soooo worth it.  Trust me.  Please enjoy this recipe, share it with your friends and family and give credit where credit is due. Thank you for joining me here so I'm able to share more of my treats with you and yours.  Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year!

Spumoni Truffle Cake Balls Recipe:   
Makes approx: 36 truffles                                                
1 White Cake Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
10 oz Fluffy White Frosting (I used most of the can of Duncan Hines but you can use scratch white frosting)
1 Cup Pistachios (I used salted Roasted, I rinsed them for a few minutes to remove salt)
40 Pistachios, salted and roasted, for top of truffle
2 tsp Almond Extract flavoring
¼ tsp Orange extract flavoring
1 Cup water
3 Ener-g eggs
¼ Cup oil
2-4 drops green food coloring (I like mine to look more on the natural side)
1 jar maraschino cherries (drained and dried)
2- 10oz bags of Chocolate chips (I used Enjoy life Brand)
½-3/4 Cup shortening



Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x 11 rectangle pan, In a Blender, mix 1 cup pistachios, 1 cup water, almond and orange extract, ener-g eggs, oil, and blend until thoroughly mixed. Add a few drops of green food coloring.  Blend again.
Add pistachio mixture to cake mix and mix with a mixer on low for 2 minutes and then on high for 2 minutes. Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake for 23-25 minutes.  Cool completely. (Side note* If you want a pistachio cake just to eat...try this one here! With a little sprinkle of powdered sugar, you will love this cake!)



Once cooled, break the cake into chunks and mix in a mixing bowl until it turns to fine crumbs. Add 10 oz of frosting and mix until combined. Using a small cookie scoop (about 1 oz,) scoop out mixture and place on a cookie sheet lined with foil.  Scoop out remaining truffle mixture.

Take one of the scoops at a time, place it in your hand, make an indention with your finger and place a cherry inside the indent. With your fingers, start pinching the mixture around the part of the cherry until it is completely encased. Gently roll the truffle in your hand to get a nice round shape.  Replace on cookie sheet and continue with the remaining truffles. Once all are finished, place cookie sheet in a refrigerator until chilled, about 1-2 hours.  

  
 


In a double boiler, heat chocolate chips on low heat stirring constantly until melted. Add 1/4 cup shortening at a time and stir well until you get a slightly thin consistency. Remove cake balls from refrigerator and dip one truffle at a time by placing truffle on the top of the tines of a fork and emerging in chocolate.  Tap fork a few times to remove excess chocolate and place back on the chilled cookie sheet to set. I use a small toothpick to help slide the coated truffle off the fork.   Add one pistachio to the top. Finish remaining truffles and replace cookie sheet in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. 

 With some of the remaining chocolate, put about 3 tablespoons into a small plastic bag, clip just a small corner of the bag with scissors and drizzle chocolate in a circular direction over the tops of each truffle. Place back into refrigerator until ready to serve. The truffles are the best when they are just at about room temperature. 





One bite of these and you really will experience a new type of Christmas treat. But don't just assume these are for Christmas because once it's over, you are going to want to have these for most of your holidays. These delicious truffles would make a wonderful handmade gift or treat. My daughter specifically asked for 2 dozen of them!
And feel free to experiment with colors too.  White chocolate is beautiful and you can also find green maraschino cherries too. I can't wait to make these for Valentine's day and Easter! Sky's the limit...so bake away, and don't forget to enjoy your TREAT!

Hey You...
Thank you for stopping by to see me.  I'd love it if we could meet up again. Let me know what you think about this recipe and my others by joining me here on the blog, facebook or instagram and share a little love.  Why?  Well, it's because I love you too...
So stay awhile, have a nice beverage of your choice, grab a treat or two and enjoy....




                                                   ©2015 MyDeliciousVeganDiary




2 comments:

  1. SOOOO AMAZINGLY GOOD!!! They're so good, you're going to want to share this recipe, but keep All the cake balls for yourself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so SWEET ClassyLady2663. Thank you for the Love and....
    I agree Completely!

    ReplyDelete