Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Scaloppine Beer Sauce





Wait What? Beer?
Did I really say Beer? Yes...I...Did!
So let me tell you a story about sugar!  I am on a diet, well sort of. And on this diet of mine, I replace meals with lemonade, maple syrup and cayenne juice and then limit eating to once a day.  I am also trying to reduce the amount of sugar I eat by a bunch.  (I did say limit, not delete it completely because that would take me over the edge right now.)  But, even as a vegan, know this...You can Gain Weight!  Trust me, I see it all the time and I myself had decided in 2010 that if I had to cut out meat, I would make delicious desserts as a trade off.  And guess what, low and behold? I gained...
Not only will desserts add to the waistline, but so will eating out and snacking on Vegan fast food.  So this is just a bit of a warning but I won't preach anymore on the subject...today. So you ask what Beer and my sugar warning have in common? Here we go...
So I  gave my one meal a lot of thought.  I was craving pasta but didn't want a traditional red sauce since that is my norm in my Italian home.  Alfredo sauce was something I had just made this week also so scratch that idea. Since I had a rather large bag of lemons on my counter that I was using for my lemonade diet, I decided that a Scaloppine sauce would not only work out great, but I also had some Gardein Chick'n that I could cook up in the sauce also.   And then I thought about the one beautiful bottle of white wine that I had, not an inexpensive one but a sweet and beautiful Pinot Grigio I had bought in my travels to wine country and I did not want to cook it away.  That wine needed to be savored with my meal, but not in it.  So low and behold... I used a beer that my son had in the refrigerator. I sure hoped he wouldn't miss it but there was no turning back now. Well, the beer not only made the most savory of sauces but added less sugar in the sauce, and this is better since I was having my sugar in my drink. Yeah, and I won't cave and settle on no wine with pasta...it's just not the Italian way! Oh my goodness was this sauce the bomb, and so really really delicious that my son's fiance had no idea that this was a vegan meal. Go figure!

Scaloppine Beer Sauce Recipe:
*Note- I floured and pan fried the Gardein chick'n in 2 Tbs olive oil in a pan.  Then I added the beer to de-glaze the pan.   If you do this step and include floured chick'n, do not add in the flour since it will make your sauce too thick.

4 Tbs Vegan margarine
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
2 Tbs capers
2 Tbs lemon juice
8 Oz Beer
2 Tbs Almond Milk (unsweetened)
2 Tbs flour
1 Tbs chopped Italian parsley
.
In a shallow pan, melt margarine and add flour and stir.  Add beer, lemon juice, capers and garlic and stir. Whisk in almond milk and let it start to reduce down until it begins to thicken enough to a sauce consistency. Use sauce on Chick'n or pasta and sprinkle with chopped parsley.  Mangia and Enjoy.

To my delight, I had a little sauce, a piece of Chick'n and some pasta that I packed away for tomorrow's one meal.  Oh boy, left overs at its best!


Hey Lovely...

Thank you for stopping by to see me.  I'd love it if we could meet up again. Let me know what you think about this recipe and my others by joining me here on the blog, facebook or instagram and share a little love.  Why?  Well, it's because I love you too...

So stay awhile, have a nice beverage of your choice, grab a treat or two and enjoy....

                                                   ©2015 MyDeliciousVeganDiary


No comments:

Post a Comment