Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chocolate covered caramel candies

Valentine's Day was upon us.  I was craving chocolate covered caramels like nobodies business.  A few months back, my friend had bought her and I a chocolate and caramel making class gift certificate.  We watched and learned the secrets to making delicious candies.  And then it hit me...
Could I make this vegan?  I wasn't sure but since the urge to eat caramel was taking over my mind and soul, I figured I had better get cracking at it and see.  To my delight, and the other sweet valentine's in my family, it did!



Chocolate covered caramels
2 cups sugar
2 cups canned coconut milk (the kind with a thick layer of cream on top)
1/4 cup corn syrup
2 cups vegan chocolate
sea salt or lavender sugar or both

Heat pan really hot over stove. Add 1/8 c sugar and as it starts to bubble and brown, stir.  Once melted, add another 1/8 cup sugar and repeat process until all sugar is liquefied.  Add corn syrup and stir again until bubbly.  You are looking for a nice caramel color.  Add coconut milk slowly and stir until all is incorporated.  Be careful of spitting, hot sugar.
After all cream has been added, cook and stir once in awhile until candy thermometer reaches 250 degrees or almost hard ball stage, then remove from heat.
Pour into a tin foil lined and greased 8x8 or 9x13 pan. Let cool.
In a double boiler, melt chocolate.  Cut caramels into squares and dip.   Put dipped caramels onto tin foil, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt or lavender sugar and refrigerate.  When you are ready to serve, serve at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment