Monday, July 22, 2013

Ginger Yam Mash

Today we are having spectacular thunder and lightning storms.  All this afternoon we've had flash flood warnings in the high desert area.  It is something quite beautiful to watch as the skies light up and the earth regains its water. Fascinating.  However, with the summer storms comes power outages. As I sat and watched the beauty outside, I realized that I was starving!  So I quickly tried to think of what I could make with little to no time involved before the storm was right on top of us. Last week I had purchased two yams from the farmer's market and had envisioned a yummy casserole.  Well, at this point, oven cooking wasn't going to work so I decided to toss them into the microwave for 10 minutes and then I finished it off over the stove, which even in a power outage, still works.   I'm glad I decided to make this because it was soooooo gooooood!!!  And now, not only are my family's tummies full, but we're  back outside watching the sky, in under 20 minutes!
 
 
 
 
 
Ginger Yam Mash
 
2 large yams
1 can coconut milk (make sure it's the creamy type)
4 tbs vegan butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger (fresh or powdered)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup shredded coconut ( I toasted mine but the choice is yours)
1/2 cup chopped candied nuts (I used walnuts)
 
Poke holes in Yams. Microwave Yams for about 10 minutes until soft. Peel and put into a pan on stove top.  Over medium-high heat, cook all ingredients except for nuts and coconut, for about 5-6 minutes until hot and bubbly. Add coconut and stir.  Remove from heat and serve with chopped candied nuts sprinkled over the top.  *If you like it even sweeter, also sprinkle on a little cinnamon sugar on top.  Delish!



No comments:

Post a Comment