Sunday, November 24, 2013

Honey Pecan Tofu

When I used to dinner shop at Panda Express years ago,  one of their featured entrees was Honey Walnut Shrimp.  I ate it.  I liked it.  And lately, I've been craving it like crazy. 
I just happen to have frozen vegan shrimp at the time and I know this would be great made with it, but I really like using ingredients that are not only great, but very inexpensive.  And not only are Vegan meats expensive,  there are times I'd rather have no meat-like items and use something else.  In this recipe, I use tofu. The ironic thing is that even though I use tofu for sauces, pies, cheesecakes, and tofu scrambles, I really am not fond of its bland flavor.  I am the first one to give away all my tofu when it comes in my soups too.  But in this dish, if you are a non-tofu lover like myself, this might make a lover out of you.  It did for me.

 
 
 
Honey Pecan Tofu
 
Ingredients:
 
1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 c beer (I used dark)
1 box tofu (lite firm or firm)
Extra flour for dredging
oil
 
Honey Drizzle:
5 Tbs Bee Free Honee
15 pecans broken in half
1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
 
 
Mix the top 4 ingredients in a bowl.  Add beer.  Stir and set aside for about 10 minutes.
 


Slice tofu into small rectangle pieces.  It should make about 12 slices.
 
 
Heat oil in skillet on high heat.  You want enough oil to at least cover half the tofu slice.  Dredge tofu in flour being careful not to break it.  The firmer the better.

 
Fry pieces until golden brown and crispy. Don't over crowd the pan or you'll have a hard time turning them.  (Trust me on this, I learned the hard way.)

 
Put aside in a baking dish.
 

Mix Honee, pecans and Sriracha sauce.  Heat in microwave for 30 minutes to make it easier to drizzle.


Drizzle evenly over pieces of tofu. Broil for about 4 minutes in oven until the Honee starts to brown and bubble slightly.


Serve over rice.

 
I hope you love this recipe.  I sure did.  My daughter loved adding soy sauce to a few pieces too. If you make this or add a little something fun to it, share here please.  I always love to hear from you. Enjoy~
  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment