Saturday, November 9, 2013

Nawlin's Style Red Beans And Rice

 
Last year I had the pleasure of visiting New Orleans for a few days before heading off on a cruise ship from their port. Before I left, I created a "Bucket List" of foods that I had to try before I die. I live for my bucket list at times,  just ask my hubby who went on that trip and a recent trip to the New England states from New Jersey to Maine and back, and then to Costa Rica.  (Did I mention I love to travel?)  When we came home, we were bursting at the seams with an extra 9 lbs in tow (and that was just my weight gain) but I experienced new and exciting flavors and meals that I'll keep with me forever. While in NOLA, short for New Orleans, we ordered red beans and rice at most every restaurant stop.  I learned quickly the type I enjoy the most, the more mashed up version, and decided to put that on my recipe to do list of must make at home meals.  So after a few different attempts, I finally created my favorite vegan red beans and rice and I can't wait to share it with you.  I love this hearty meal that is so delicious,  it makes me want to curl up by a fireplace, and enjoy it there.


 The hub and I in NOLA
 
Nawlin's Style Red Beans and Rice
 
Ingredients:
 
4 c soaked red beans ( I used small red beans)
1 onion
1 red bell pepper
drizzle of olive or grape seed oil
1 Tbs celery seed
1/2 tsp smoke liquid seasoning
1/2 tsp bacon salt (vegan ) ( or use plain salt) *Info on "Products I love" link
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne or more to taste  (I added a dash more for some wild heat)
1/2 tsp fennel seed
2 Tbs fresh garlic
2 tsp thyme
1 tsp parsley
4 bay leaves
7 c. No-Chicken soup stock and/ or vegetable stock  (I actually used some of each)
4 c. Cooked rice
 
 
Food Process or finely chop onion and red bell pepper. Heat a large pot with a drizzle of oil. Add onions and red bell pepper and cook for about 4 minutes until onion starts getting translucent.


 
  Add all spices except bay leaves and cook for another minute.  Add soup stock, beans and bay leaves, bring to a boil and cook covered for 2 hours on med-low heat. 
 
 
 
 Remove lid and cook until beans start to peak through liquid and beans are tender. (This can take up to 30 minutes or more and if your beans still seem firm, add 1 cup of hot water and cook longer until they seem tender.) 
 With a bean or potato masher, mash 1/4 to 1/2 of the beans.  I like at least 1/2 of mine mashed. Cook while stirring every once in awhile, so it doesn't burn and let the juice reduce into your mashed beans.  You want this on the thicker side, but ideally you want a little bit juice to soak into your rice.
 
 
 
  Pour mixture over cooked rice and serve. Add more salt to taste and Enjoy!
Serves 4-6
 

 
 When you make this, please, let me know how you liked it.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment