Thursday, July 3, 2014

Rhubarb Upside Down Cake

 
 
I had company on the way. My friends were bringing all their Brussels Griffon Puppies for a play date with my puppies. But before playtime, I wanted to treat my friends to lunch and  I was so excited to make a full vegan meal for my friends to try. I decided that my Pasta with Lemon Asparagus Sauce Pasta recipe here would be the ticket to tempt the tummy.  I love this pasta and knew they would too (and was I right!)  But for dessert, what would I make?  The day prior I had decided to make Lavender Toffee Sauce to accompany my nice tart green apples. I loved it so much that I knew that whatever dessert I made, it would be enrobbed in the sauce.  So I opened the fridge, found a stalk of rhubarb and decided these two would be perfect together, a marraige made in heaven!   Now that the lunch is over and dessert is gone and my puppies are resting after a wonderful playdate with incredibly precious friends,  I'm left dreaming of how perfect this day was, the company was and the meal was and I can't wait until next week to make it again....
 
I'm hooked!
 


 
 
 
 
Upside Down Cake Recipe~
1 C cake flour
7/8 C granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
3 vegan eggs ( I use Ener-G, mixed ahead of time for a few minutes)
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 1/2 Tbsp water
1 stalk Rhubarb cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs vegan butter
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 8  ( 4 oz) Ramekins  or one 8-9 inch round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.  In a hot pan over the stove, melt vegan butter and add rhubarb.  Cook for about 1-2 minutes on med-high heat. Add 1 Tbs sugar and stir for about another minute until rhubarb is just starting to get soft.  Remove from heat immediately and spoon into the bottom of Ramekins. You want the rhubarb laying flat and evenly on the bottom.  Set aside.
 
In a mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Add Vegan eggs, vanilla, and water and mix until smooth.  Do not over mix. Spoon over rhubarb and bake about 15 minutes until slightly golden brown (check with a toothpick to test it's cooked on the inside.) While cooling, make Toffee Sauce. 

 


Toffee Sauce Recipe

4 Tbs Vegan Butter
2/3 C Brown Sugar
2/3 C Canned Coconut Milk, using the cream on top ( It's best to use a high quality with thick cream on top)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste
Pinch Salt
 
In a microwave safe bowl, melt vegan butter. Add brown sugar, coconut milk cream and stir. Microwave for 2 minutes. Stir. Microwave for another 1- 1 1/2 minutes depending on your microwave. Add the vanilla and pinch salt, and stir. Let sit on the counter for about 5 minutes. Once it starts to cool, it will thicken.
 
Try this Caramel Lavender Toffee Sauce also...Lavender Toffee Sauce.
 
Drizzle 1/2 tsp of Toffee Sauce over each of the warm cakes and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Use a knife to loosen each cake from the Ramekin and invert onto plates.  Drizzle with remaining Toffee Sauce and serve.







Oh boy.  The moment we've all been waiting for.  Delicious, Creamy, smooth and silky. Have a nice tart bite of rhubarb with the sweetness of cake enrobed in a bath of silky caramel toffee. (Sounds heavenly!)  Enjoy with friends, family or enjoy all by yourself.  These perfect little bites are sheer indulgent.

You don't want to miss a recipe you say?  Then sign up to recieve recipes sent directly to your email. Trust me... there are more fabulous healthy vegan recipes coming your way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment