Monday, June 9, 2014

Citrus Scones

 
If you haven't noticed by now that the majority of my blog entries are some sort of sweet, they are because I'm still a kid at heart.  I remember growing up, I would always search the house for dessert and once ended up with 6 brownies in my lunch box for school.  My mom still tells the story of me robbing the pantry of all sweets and leaving none for my siblings.  When I'd get in trouble for this act of tyranny, I'd tell myself that when I got older, I'd make all the desserts I want!  Well today I do bake like a crazy woman, feeding my inner child, but because of that middle aged decrease in metabolism I have slowed down a bit on my consumption of these goodies... ( and of course I do feel sorry for my childhood gluttony!)
 
 
Today I made scones for our lazy Sunday.  I wanted a nice treat to follow up with my nice spot of tea.  I wanted to use the lemons and grapefruit that I had on my counter especially since I'm in love with citrus.  And because lately I've been having a bit of issue with gluten, I wanted to make these gluten free too.
 So here we go...
Me in my bake happy state is hoping you enjoy this tasty breakfast treat.
 
Citrus Scones Recipe
 
1 16oz box (2 3/4 cup)of Gluten Free Flour mix  (tip* reserve about 2 Tbs of mix for flouring your counter and baking pan if you don't have any more to use)
1/3 cup Granulated sugar
1 Tbs baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup vegan butter
3 tsp ener-g egg powder
1 tsp chia seeds
3/4 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
1/2 tsp cornstarch
3 ounces tofu (soft)
1/2 cup- 3/4 cup Coconut milk ( I use canned coconut milk that has cream on the top. I make sure to mostly use the creamy part for this recipe...Do NOT use cream of coconut.)
lemon zest
grapefruit zest
juice from the grapefruit and lemon

1 tsp course granulated sugar for sprinkling

Glaze
Remaining juices, remaining zest
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar

Mix all dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, egg powder, chia seeds, cornstarch in a bowl. Add butter and mix until butter is the size of small peas. Do not over mix and make sure butter is very cold. Stir in 3/4 of the zest from the grapefruit and lemon (reserving 1/4 of the zest for the glaze.) Mix in another bowl, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tsp of the grapefruit juice and 1 tsp of the lemon juice (reserving all the rest of the juice for the glaze) and tofu . Add wet to dry stirring just until incorporated. Should slightly resemble a pie crust dough. If dough doesn't stick together, add a bit more coconut milk, a little at a time, until it holds together.
On floured counter, divide into two halves and make into the shape of disks about 1- 1 1/2 inch high.  Use a little remainder of the coconut milk to brush the tops of disks and sprinkle with a pinch of granulated sugar. Cut each disk to make 6 pieces. Place pieces onto a cookie sheet, slightly apart to give room for baking all sides.  Bake in preheated oven set at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. These should be slightly brown.
 
 



 
Allow to cool a bit while making Glaze. In a bowl, mix juice and zest and add 1/3 cup of powdered sugar at a time, mixing well using a whisk.  You want this to have a nice semi thick consistency that will slowly drizzle over the warm scones. *(use a cookie cooling rack to keep the scones from sitting in the syrup.)  Once the glaze is almost dry, your scone is ready to devour.... enjoy!
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment