Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Sushi Rolls


 


 
In my town, we really only have three restaurant choices if we want something Vegan.  And trust me, they are not vegan restaurants. At the Pizza Factory in Phelan, we get Pizza with the veggies, no cheese and the new Gluten free, soy free, and dairy free crust.  At the Mexican place, we get meat free fajitas, double beans with no cheese and salsa and chips. Then, at the Sushi place, we get vegetable rolls or their vegetable pad thai.  At the sushi place, a meal can really set you back but there are days I simply crave sushi with wasabi and soy sauce.  Of course, if I'm at home and I make it myself...
I save a fortune! And when I make it, I always love to experiment with whatever veggies are in my refrigerator.
 
Today's menu~ Zucchini Sushi (since someone juiced my cucumber already!)
 
Below is my recipe and I encourage you to check out a Youtube video on the sushi making technique.  It's really simple when you get the hang of it. I learned the paper towel way when we hosted a student from Japan over 20 years ago.  It's all I had (paper towels) since I'd never even had Japanese food before.  I have photos below showing you the roll I made with a simple paper towel and one with a place mat.  Both easy, both turned out the same and you don't need a fancy roll machine to make it.
 
Sushi Roll Recipe
 
2 cups cooked sushi rice
1/2 cup Sesame seed dressing (sesame seed oil, vinegar and sugar)
Roasted seaweed sheets
Thin sliced Vegetables
Condiments:  Wasabi, chili sauce or hot mustard
 

Add 1/2 cup sesame dressing to just cooked and slightly cooled rice. Stir and let it sit while it cools down just enough to be handled.  Spoon on a few spoonfuls of rice and spread it out almost to the edges of the seaweed sheet (Make sure the smooth side is down)  that's laying on a paper towel. Add a few vegetables to the end closest to you. 

 

With two hands, grasp the edge of the paper towel and start to roll, just once, pushing down slightly to make the rice stick to the seaweed.

Lift up the edge of the towel and roll again once, putting pressure to make the filling snug in the sheet.

Lift towel up again and repeat rolling, making sure not to roll the paper towel up in the roll.  Repeat until rolled up completely.  It can take a few times to get the hang of it and have a tight roll. (Trying to get it too tight will bust your roll.)
 
 Paper towel roll below.
 
 Place mat roll below. Both pretty much look the same.
 
Using a serrated knife, gently cut rolls into rounds and serve.
Extra rice will keep in your refrigerator to make fresh rolls the next day too.






No comments:

Post a Comment