Friday, June 6, 2014

Lemon Chia Ricotta & Berry Crepes

So help me, when I crave something, it drives me crazy.  Crazy to the point of obsession is realistically what happens when I really really want something.  A few weeks ago, the hubby and I, along with my grand baby, went to the mall.  Inside the mall is a cute little french bistro type crepe place with a window to watch the crepe making process.  Hubby and I ordered a delicious coffee while I dreamed about making a crepe someday soon.  Well after much pondering and a failed attempt at the first couple, here is my recipe...Chia seeds included!
 
At first I made my beautiful food, took photos and went on to eat these yummies. This is the first time I had taken photos and not checked them before I ate the goods.  I guess I was too excited and missed the part that white crepes in indirect sunlight do not show up...at all. The screen was all white with a nice outline of something that resembled a crepe! 
Well, to my horror, and my tummies delight, fortunately I had some left overs to recreate my photos.  And as for my tummy...seconds of this lovely lemony delight with fresh bursts of flavor and fruity ricotta cheesy goodness along with a little crunch from the chia seeds was perfect.
 
I was happy! And full!
 

 Lemon Chia Ricotta & Berry Crepes

Filling~

1/2 c sliced strawberries
1/2 c black or boysenberries
pinch of sugar
a drip of vanilla
1 c vegan ricotta cheese
1 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs coconut milk or your favorite type.

In a hot pan, slightly cook berries with a pinch of sugar and vanilla.  You just want the flavors to start coming out, about a minute or two on high heat and then set aside to cool.
In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese, sugar and milk.  Set aside while making crepes.

Crepes~

1 Tbs egg replacer
1 Tbs Chia seeds
1 C water
2 Tbs canola oil
2 1/2 C coconut milk (unsweetened)
Lemon zest and 1/2 tsp lemon juice.
2 C cake flour
pinch salt
Powdered sugar for sprinkling and Maple syrup for drizzling.

In a blender, mix egg replacer, chia seeds and water for a minute on high.  Add oil, zest, lemon juice and coconut milk and blend another minute.  Add cake flour, 1/2 cup at a time and blend on high.  Scrape down sides, add salt and mix another few seconds.  Spray a little cooking spray evenly over hot pan.  Wipe of excess and pour a little batter into the center of the pan.  Kind of like you'd make an omelet, using your wrist, lift the pan and slowly swirl the mixture to the outside of the pan in circular motions.  You want this batter to be really thin in the pan.  Cook about a minute until you see the edges lift.  I was able to grab the edge and flip the crepe by hand to cook the other side but feel free to use a spatula. Cook evenly on both sides and stack crepes on a plate as they've cooked.

 
To assemble, spread on a bit of ricotta mixture, a few berries and roll up.


 
 Sprinkle with Powdered sugar and Eat.  Or just look at them, and then eat them.  Yes, they're that pretty. And also drizzle with Maple syrup for another level of tastiness.
 
Dessert Crepe~
(or breakfast too)
 
Lay crepe flat on a plate.  Drizzle with a little lemon juice.  Sprinkle with a little granulated sugar.  Fold in half and in half again. Drizzle with melted vegan butter and sprinkle with a little more granulated sugar.  Okay now eat...your life is now complete! (At least mine was!) 

 
Like Crepes?  Share what you like to fill yours with and inspire us all.
 
For more fun photos, contests and first to hear news,  follow me on facebook here~

No comments:

Post a Comment