Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Artichoke Zucchini Alfredo Pasta

 
A dear friend of ours has decided to go vegan.  We've been supporting him through the "What can I eat where?" and "that's vegan?" along with many other questions. I'm always surprised when someone thinks starvation is part of veganism. But to most people's surprise, and my dear friend's shock, one can't believe that most food is vegan and then we mess it up with other junk.  
 
Yesterday we had Mexican mushroom fajitas.  Today I thought an Italian meal (especially since I am Italian) would be good for him and I've been wanting to try to make a yummy creamy Alfredo sauce sans commercial products. My friend mentioned that he needed something filling with protein. (I honestly chuckled with the protein comment since we hear it all the time right?) So I knew this dish would be hearty and flavorful with bursts of fresh flavors too.
 
 
 
Sauce~
1 whole cauliflower
2 Tbs nutritional yeast
2 cloves garlic
4 Tbs vegan butter
1 C unsweetened vegan milk (I used flax milk)
1 tsp each of
Rosemary
Pepper
Oregano
Basil
Salt

Boil Cauliflower until soft, about 20 min on medium. Remove Cauliflower, reserving hot water and put in Food Processor with all additional items. Puree until smooth and set aside for a few minutes.

 


1 box linguine noodles
3 small zucchini sliced
1/2  yellow onion diced
1 1/2 c mushrooms sliced
1 1/2 c marinated artichokes
1 can black olives

Boil linguine noodles with a little bit of olive oil, the remainder of the cauliflower water and added hot water to cover the noodles. Cook as directed. While pasta is cooking, add a bit of oil to a fry pan. Heat over high heat, add zucchini, onions and mushrooms. Saute for about 7 minutes and once veggies are starting to cook down, add the artichokes and black olives. Add the Alfredo sauce and cook an additional 3 minutes on medium heat. Drain pasta and toss with Hot Artichoke Zucchini Alfredo Sauce. Top with a little Vegan Parmesan cheese and Eat...

 








This was not only delightful, creamy and flavor fully delicious but my friend and my son's girlfriend repeatedly asked "This is vegan?"   I was tickled when at 10 pm I noticed my son's girlfriend heating up another bowl for seconds.  Everyone loved it, I loved it and it made enough for a family of six.  Paired with a nice glass of wine and a piece of rosemary sourdough bread, the meal was fit for a king or queen or whomever...

No comments:

Post a Comment