Sunday, May 4, 2014

Southwestern Okra Soup


Today I received a package from Edward & Sons Trading Post.  I love packages.  Better yet, I love packages filled with delicious, nutritious vegan food! This beautiful bountiful box included new items from Edward & Sons too. One of the items in my gift box was canned Okra.  This "ain't" your grandma's canned food! Nope. And this nicely packed okra was not only the best from the Native Forest brand but it's certified organic and whole pods too.
Order here New products.
 
 Many days in my home can be kind of chaotic.  It's pretty much due to the fact that I love company.  And of course, I really love to cook for company.  But since this week had been pretty busy and I was pretty tired, I decided to make a one pot wonder.  (A meal that essentially cooks itself!)

So I got my large cooking pot.  I grabbed a few vegetables from my pantry and I opened my can of Native Forest  Organic OKRA and began...

 
And then I ate, and my company ate, and we were all content and happy. And it only took 25 minutes to cook.
 
Southwestern Okra Soup Recipe

8 C water
2 tsp Vegetable bouillon
1 onion diced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
3 celery sticks diced
3 carrots sliced (I used rainbow carrots)
1 zucchini sliced
2 potatoes cubed     
1 ear of corn (slice off all corn)
1 kale leaf cut into small pieces
10 oz vegan chorizo
1 can NATIVE FOREST Organic OKRA, quickly rinse and slice the okra
salt and pepper to taste

Additional topping:
Vegan Parmesan cheese

 
 
 
 
Add first 8 ingredients to a large stock pot and start to boil. Once boiling, add the ear of corn with the kernels removed to the pot and cook covered on medium heat for 20 minutes.  After 20 minutes, remove corn cob and add corn kernels, kale, and vegan chorizo. Cook covered for another 5 minutes, then add okra and stir gently.  Serve. Serve meaning eat...and eat...and oh snap...I'm getting carried away now. 
 
This Southwestern Okra Soup was delicious, nutritious and so contently filling.
 
 
Here I sprinkled on a bit of Vegan Parmesan Cheese...
 
...and boy oh boy was it delightful!
 
For more info and more products from Edward & Sons and to have organic, gluten free and vegan foods delivered right to your door...Click  Here
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment