Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Lasagna Italiano


I'm Italian and proud of it. I was raised standing in the kitchen next to my mother, watching her cook for the family. All of our recipes were passed down from our relatives by watching.  One of the recipes I always loved was our family lasagna.  Well many years later, I still love lasagna however I needed to create a meat-less version of our family meal. To my pleasure, my mother's pleasure and to the complete joy of my family...this Lasagna recipe rocked!  So here I am, sharing this delicious recipe in hopes that you and I can both create a new tradition with our kiddos standing by our sides, learning to create delicious vegan meals to pass on down the line.  Mangia! And Enjoy!

Lasagna Italiano

20 cooked  gluten free or regular vegan lasagna noodles (cook a few more for breakage)
2 Large Zucchinis, sliced and grilled (I found Zucchini at the farmers market that were big like pumpkins)
25 ounces prepared vegan tomato spaghetti sauce
Veggie Italian Sausage (I used helen's kitchen brand organic and non-GMO)
1/2 cup black olives diced
1/2 cup Grilled onions
1 Tbs Basil
1 Tbs Oregano
1 Tbs Garlic
9 oz vegan Ricotta Style Cheese
1 large handful of Spinach leaves
3 Roma tomatoes sliced
10 ounces Mozzarella style cheese
Serve with extra sauce if you like it really saucy like me.

Layer 1~ In a rectangle baking dish, spread about 1/4 cup prepared sauce on the bottom.  Layer with 5 noodles (touching or just overlapping), then half of the grilled zucchinis, 3 ounces of ricotta, the basil and a few spoonfuls of a little sauce.
 Layer 1
 
 
For Layer 2~ 5 noodles, Italian Sausage, black olives, 3 ounces ricotta, oregano, grilled onions, a little sauce, and spinach leaves.
 Layer 2
 Layer 2
 
 
Layer 3~ Not pictured, 5 noodles, the rest of the zucchini, 3 ounces ricotta, garlic and more sauce.
 
Layer 4~ 5 noodles, the remainder of sauce, the sliced tomatoes.
 
 Layer 4
 
Cover with Tin Foil and bake in a pre-heated oven at 375 degrees for 60 minutes. Add sliced Vegan Mozzarella cheese and broil just a few minutes until melted.



Serve, Eat...Enjoy.

 
Look at those delicious noodles.  I love the end cut! How about you?
 
Worried about having too much lasagna at one time?  I love to freeze some for future quick grab meals or I love to bless friends with a little lasagna to go also.





No comments:

Post a Comment